Cure Valley


Contact and Access

Office de Tourisme entre Cure et Yonne
Halte nautique de Bazarnes
Cidex 501
89460 Cravant
Tel +33 (0)3 86 81 54 26

The châteaux

Château du Chastenay Arcy-sur-Cure
The château is located in the hamlet of Val-Sainte-Marie, just 800 m from the caves, to the south of Vermenton on the RN6. It is a remarkable site with cliffs and hiking trails.

Le Château du Chastenay has remained in the same family since 1086 without interruption - something which is very unusual in France - and is owned by the descendants of Gibaut d'Arcy who built the château.

The château was built in the 13th, 14th and 18th centuries but then reconstructed, from ruins, in 1966. Since 1972 it has been lovingly restored as part of a project led by the Association for Historic Monuments.

This beautiful Renaissance château boasts a carved, patterned exterior, richly decorated with alchemical symbols. No two elements are the same. The Château du Chastenay with its elegant Renaissance façade, dominates the surrounding area, delighting the numerous hikers on the GR13 long-distance hiking trail to Vézelay. But research on the building has only just started. Everything has to be rebuilt and assessed in an effort to unlock its secrets.

The manor house is situated at the junction of the Agrippa Roman Road and the road, taken by pilgrims, to Santiago de Compostella. It was also said to be the scene of paranormal activity.

For more information about the heritage of Arcy-sur-Cure, please click HERE .

18th century château and la Cobarde Arcy-sur-Cure

La Cobarde, a strong house in Arcy-sur-Cure was originally a simple, fortified house which kept the taxes and payments received in kind. Gradually, in the 12th century when Arcy became a Seigniory, it was turned into a proper fortress with a double curtain wall and two draw-bridges.

It was demolished shortly before the revolution but you can still see the ruins.

In 1738, De Cullon, the Lord of Arcy Seigniory, built an 18th century style residence, just behind the original house. Today the château is privately owned.

Château de Sainte Pallaye
It was built in the 18th century by the Lacurne brothers and is a listed building. The garden was created in

ic giyim kral fm Jeux de voiture
1740 by Polet, from drawings by Lenôtre. The Château is privately owned; no visits allowed.

In spring, you can admire the carpet of wild cyclamens that adorn the castle entrance.

Château des ports Mailly-le-Château
The building which dates from the 18th century, is situated at the lower end of the village, on the way out, heading towards Mailly-la-Ville. It is the former residence of the manager, responsible for floating wood to Paris from the Morvan. With its classical style architecture, it resembles a townhouse. The sitting and dining rooms have retained their 18th century panelling and fireplaces.

The façades and roofs of the house, the dove cote, surrounding walls, gate, and the house grounds have recently been added to the French listed buildings register. It is a privately owned property

Mailly-le-Château château
Recently renovated, privately-owned property; suitable for tourist accommodation or conferences.

Perched high up on the rock, with its dramatic old ramparts, it can be seen from a great distance. It remains a symbol of the village and will undoubtedly be the subject of a future research project.

Mailly-la-Ville château
The château, called the ""Cour des Maillys"" is on the outskirts of the village, on the right. This beautiful 16th building used to house the Courts of Justice presided over by the Provost of the County of Auxerre-Nevers.


Chastenay Château

Front of Chastenay, seen from the road

La Cobarde old strong house

Cyclamen flower border in front of Sainte Pallaye château

The château at Mailly-le-Château